Medical error is one of the top leading causes of death all over the world. That is why you should get a second opinion diagnosis.
What is a second opinion diagnosis?
.A second opinion is when you visit another doctor, medical specialist or healthcare professional to ask for their opinion on your existing diagnosis or treatment plan again to check if it is the best treatment plan for your condition or to check for misdiagnosis. You can compare the medical advice and see if the second opinion is similar or the same as your regular doctor or specialist.
When to get a second opinion diagnosis
- If you have undergone treatment but your symptoms continue: if you have been treating a medical condition and still not feeling better.
- If you are diagnosed with a complex or rare disease: this is important because your current physician may not be an expert in that particular disease or may not know how to handle it. You will be referred to a specialist.
- If the recommended treatment is risky, involves surgery, is invasive or has lifelong consequences.
- If you are not comfortable with the diagnosis or the recommended treatment: sometimes your intuition/gut feeling is not assured about the diagnosis, get another pair of eyes to check you out.
- If you are not comfortable with your physician: because sometimes feeling better is in the mind, if you physician is going to be a hindrance to your recovery because you do not feel safe or comfortable please get a second opinion.
Importance of second opinion diagnosis
- It offers insight into additional treatment options that the first doctor may not have mentioned.
- Helps you make an informed decision about your health and treatment plan.
- It helps detect medical errors
- To decide the best treatment option
How to get a second opinion diagnosis?
- You have the right to seek for a second opinion diagnosis.
- Ask your doctor to give you a referral to another doctor or medical specialist.
- Ask your doctor to send the other medical practitioner any test results or medical history.
Where to get a second opinion diagnosis?
You can book an appointment with an international doctor for a second opinion diagnosis through www.medicliq.health/appointment
Note: having a second opinion may not always lead to a different opinion or diagnosis and that is alright, that means you are on your way to recovering.